My well-researched predictions for the NL Central. Wins in parentheses.
1. Chicago Cubs (89). Have a tremendous advantage over the Milwaukee Brewers, having played 2 less games in 2008 than Milwaukee did. The fresh Cubs will be too tough to overcome in 2009.
2. St. Louis Cardinals (85). Because I never pick them lower than 2nd.
3. Milwaukee Brewers (83). Has any other team ever slotted its worst pitcher in as the Opening Day starter? Innovative approach, but won't be enough this year.
4. Cincinnati Reds (79, or 100*). Rumored to be sniffing The Glue. (*If Jenkins is brought into the fold, they might win the division.)
5. Houston Astros (62). Pudge, Tejada, Mike Hampton, Russ Ortiz, Darin Erstad? A hell of a team in 2000.
6. Pittsburgh Pirates (60). I look forward to being to predict a 5th place finish for the Pirates in the coming years.