Friday, April 25, 2008

King of Columbus

We always like to keep tabs on former Brewers. We especially like to keep tabs on former Brewers who have served two tours of duty with the club.

So it makes it especially sad for me to report that Ray King has been optioned to AAA by the Washington Nationals. And let's be honest, if you're getting sent down by the Nationals, can the end of your career be far off?

The move stunned King, who had a 5.68 ERA in 12 appearances, but had held left-handed hitters to a .235 average. His last appearance came Wednesday night, when he allowed two infield hits and a double to opposing pitcher Johan Santana in 2/3 of an inning.

"I look at it like this: There's guys out there with numbers that are worse than mine," King said. "Last night I gave up two squibblers and I get banged for two runs. Today I'm out of a job."

King, 34, has 72 hours to report to Columbus. He said he might ask Bowden for a trade that might get him a major league job, and Bowden said he was open to making moves that would improve the Nationals.

"I'll say it like this: I don't want to go to Triple A," King said. "I'm not saying I won't."

I think this is the place where Woz would make a joke about the dearth of Cougar poon in Columbus being the real reason that Ray's in no hurry to report...but I'll leave that up to him.

A tip of the cap goes to Sarge from our friends at Wrigleyville23 for the head's up on this story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is 18-24 year old talent in Columbus...but I don't think The King wants any of that.