Monday, February 9, 2009

Tom H. Hunch: Braden Looper?

Tom H. is throwing out another one of his hunches, this time involving the Brewers and the possibly imminent signing of Braden Looper now that his price has plummeted.

Recent Tom H. guarantees related to coaching decisions - the hire of Macha and the departure of Maddux to Texas. He was 2 for 2 on those.

But I don't think this Looper thing qualifies as a Tom H. Guarantee. And his hunches have been less than stellar, including the hunch that Prince and the Brewers were going to go to an arbitration hearing.

If it turns out that the Brewers do a 1-year deal for Looper I'm OK with it, but I still think he's a product of Dave Duncan smoke and mirrors.

Update:

According to Tom's most recent post, this one has moved into the realm of Tom H. Guarantee based on a vague statement from Mrs. Looper requiring a logic leap and "a reader who knows a friend of Looper" who says the deal will happen today. I don't know how you can argue with that. [Note: I used to have a link to this, but now the link is gone and instead you would get sent to JS Online Never Never Land, which is bad times. To ensure that you do not suffer this fate, I have removed the link.]

Update to the update:

As you might have figured out from trying to access that last link that is now gone, Tom H. is now pulling back a bit in his latest post and has actually deleted the prior one that said that Looper was definitely doing a deal with Milwaukee today based on logic leaps and a friend of a friend of Looper bit. I guess he has succumbed to some stodgy, old-school editor who wants real sources, dammit, even on a blog. We have no such restrictions here at Chuckie Hacks. Tom H. still seems to be giving it the Tom H. Guarantee, though.

8 comments:

woziszeus said...

Looks like the deal is imminent now.

Hell...they need a body. I'll buy this.

Clown said...

I would feel much better going into this season with Looper; however, I think Tom H. is smoking crack. last I heard Attanasio was done spending money and worrying about making profit with the players they already have.

Maybe Melvin convinced him that the way to pack the seats is to continue to field a quality team.
Seems pretty obvious to me.

Anonymous said...

Will he be Jeff Suppan, numero duece?

Or Ryan Dempster?

I still want Big Red as the 5 starter, though. Me likey McClung.

Clown said...

I like McClung, but I don't think he has the endurance to go all year as a starter. I think McClung will end up being the backup.

D'Amico's one good year said...

Makes sense, Clown.

He was bad bad bad as a reliever, much better as a starter last year. That may have just been my perception, though. Which is admittedly skewed.

Kyle said...

I think I might go batty with a whole season of hearing Braden Looper, and constantly fading back to the Caddyshack scene with Karl Spackler pointing the pitchfork at the kids neck.

Looper...you know...jock. So I tell him I'm a pro jock and who do they give me, but the Dalai Lama himself.

Anonymous said...

Big hitter, the Lama. Long.

lofty said...

so we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say hey lama, how bout a little something...you know....for the effort.