Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Jess Settles Memorial Award


For me, this year's winner of the Jess Settles Memorial Award for seeming playing college athletics forever goes to Jorvorskie Lane of Texas A&M.

Maybe its because I lived in Big XII country for 4 years, but it seems like this guy has played forever, when in reality, he is only a junior. Maybe it's because the name Jorvorskie sticks out. Hopefully Jill goes along with the idea to name our first born Jorvorskie. Good Times!

According to his A&M bio, the 6'0", 268 lbs. Lane is an Agricultural Leadership and Development major. Good for him. He also "has achieved folk hero status among the Aggie faithful". Even more impressive Jorvorskie scored 19 touchdowns last season and plowed in 4 TDs in the triple-OT game against Fresno State this past weekend.

So, Jorvorskie Lane, Chuckie Hacks salutes you as this year's college football winner of the Jess Settles Memorial Award.

I would imagine Jorvorskie has the inside track on winning the 2008 award, but he will face strong competition from Colt McCoy, who I think is a lock for the 2009 award, but he will be pushed by Tim Tebow. I think we will reserve the 2010 award for Jimmy Clausen.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Jeff Smoker ever win this award? It seems to me that he could've......

Anonymous said...

How about Luke Recker? He played for like 3 schools over a 9 year period.

Anonymous said...

JR Reid wins my all-time award. He was at UNC for seemingly my entire childhood but left after his junior year.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunatley as a Marquette fan, Scott Merritt was there for like 7 years. Every time I hoped he was gone after that year, he seemed to be a Junior.

Anonymous said...

Drew Tate

Anonymous said...

Anyone who ever played for Northwestern.

The list is too long to type.

Anonymous said...

How about pairing that award name with Dante Calabria...I think he played on eight final four teams with UNC.

Anonymous said...

Evan Eshmeyer, Brett Bazanez, Gino Carlisle, Zac Kustoc, Damien Anderson, that Euro on the hoops team last year....the list does keep going for NWestern....

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Tim Doyle for NW- I think I played him in a few city league games.

Anonymous said...

What about Brian Cardinal and his elbow pad showing up for 6 years @ Purdue

Matt said...

I bet a lot of non-Wisconsin fans would say Alando.

Anonymous said...

Or Mark Vershaw