Tuesday, February 20, 2007

#2 Seed? Not Necessarily a Bad Thing

With MSU beating Wisconsin, and with their remaining schedule, it isn't inconceivable that Wisconsin will drop to a #2 seed in the tourney. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. Here are my reasons:

1. The 8/9 seeds always seem like tougher "outs" than 7/10 seeds. I know, seems weird..but I feel like they're always the underachiever teams from big conferences that barely sneak into the tourney, but are scary as hell when they get there. Right now, ESPN has such teams as Texas, Tennessee, Alabama, Arizona as 8 or 9 seeds. Yeah, I don't like those matchups much either. On a given day, those teams could either beat Wisconsin by 10 or lose by 20 - super inconsistent. But most importantly...

2. I don't want Wisconsin to become the first #1 seed to lose its first round game. Admit it - you've thought about that too. Kansas loses as a #2 seed every other year, so that isn't as big of a deal any longer. But if Wisconsin got a #1 seed, and then lost to the #16 seed - well, you'd have to hear about that until you die.

1 comment:

wv23 said...

That's the spirit!